eprints.org ORCID Advance Support plug-in released
A plugin for the eprints.org repository software has been released to take advantage of the ORCID member API. The plugin, which has been developed in a collaboration between Jisc and eprints.org services, with input from the eprints.org community, brings new functionality to take full advantage of ORCID membership and offer improved services to repository users and administrators.
About the new plugin
Repository users will benefit from being able to connect ORCID to their repository profile, manage their ORCID permissions, and import and export publications seamlessly between the two systems. The repository can also add employment affiliation (or education where appropriate) to the user ORCID record. Reporting features for repository administrators are also available.
Information about how ORCID IDs are stored, displayed and validated is available from the repository wiki. The documentation also describes the reports that can be used to monitor uptake of ORCID and the workflows for users. Metadata exports from the repository include ORCID in various formats, such as through the RIOXX plugin and in RDF. User documentation in the repository has been seeded so that it meets ORCID best practice, and can be configured for your institution.
In summary, this new plug-in offers:
- Repository users can connect their repository profile to their existing ORCID iD or register for a new iD
- Users can manage ORCID permissions granted to their organisation’s repository from within the repository
- Addition of user affiliation to the ORCID record identifying the organisation as the trusted source
- Users can import publications from their ORCID record into the repository and export publications from the repository to their ORCID record
- De-duplication checks on import of publications
- Display of ORCID IDs in various pages following the ORCID guidelines
- ORCID IDs included in metadata exports
- Reporting for repository administrators
- Documentation for administrators and end users
Connecting to ORCID with the new plugin
Membership of ORCID is required to use the ORCID Support Advance plug-in. Institutions that are members of the UK ORCID consortium should apply for credentials from ORCID using the client application request form:
- For those institutions that manage their own instance of eprints and are installing the plugin, a demo needs to be set up against the ORCID Sandbox; credentials will be supplied after screenshots are sent for review.
- If the institution is using a hosted eprints service, before issuing production credentials you will be requested to sign a service provider agreement between ORCID, the Service Provider and your organisation.
Full details on the process for obtaining credentials is available on the Jisc support guidance page.
Working with the community
Jisc has been working closely with the eprints community of users, alongside eprints services, to define the requirements for the plug-in. Previous activity includes:
- What eprints users want from ORCID Integration, a blog post reporting on the results from a community survey.
- Discussion at events (and the associated reports)
- Recommendations from a hackday, added to the eprints wiki
- Community Input into the specification
- A webinar with a demo of the pre-release plug-in (starts at 21:15 minutes )
The plugin brings ORCID to the workflows of repository users and institutions that are already using eprints, helping to link researchers with their contributions and their affiliations through a persistent identifier, and enhancing the scholarly communications infrastructure. Learn more about the UK ORCID consortium support service and ORCID consortium membership for UK institutions through Jisc