On this page you will find guidance materials developed mostly by the Jisc support team to help managers, practitioners and developers considering or implementing ORCID.
- Guidance for Managers/Practitioners
- Guidance for Developers
- Guidance for Strategic Managers/Directors
Are you a Manager or Practitioner with responsibility for reviewing ORCID membership or for implementing ORCID in your institution?
For all-round advice on what to consider and what actions to take, the ORCID checklist for Higher Education Institutions is a good starting point. It provides a practical aid for managers and practitioners in the library or research office, based on lessons learned from the UK ORCID pilots commissioned by Jisc in collaboration with the Association of Research Managers and Administrators (ARMA). In addition, below, are more specific sources of guidance developed by the UK ORCID support team.
Are you considering ORCID membership?
- Review the benefits of ORCID for institutions
- Consider whether your systems are in a position to facilitate adoption of ORCID
- Consider alternatives to immediate ORCID adoption
Do you want to sign up for ORCID?
ORCID is being offered to UK universities through a national consortium arrangement facilitated by Jisc. Benefits include reduced membership costs and UK-based technical and community support for implementation.
Are you signed up and want to get going with ORCID?
- See how to take your first steps implementing ORCID
- Step through our decision-making diagram to help decide your strategy
What are the system decisions you need to take?
You will need to decide where to capture ORCIDs and where they need to be stored. How you do this will depend on what systems you have and your particular workflows.
How do you realise the benefits of ORCID?
The key is being clear on what you want to do with ORCID and the implications for your workflows and systems – we call these ‘use cases’.
How can you advocate ORCID adoption in your institution?
- Advocacy resources to engage your researchers in using ORCID
- Materials to help you make the case for ORCID in your institution
Are you a Developer working on integrating ORCID into library and research systems?
- Visit the Technical FAQ section of our website
- Review ORCID capabilities of available systems & other system specific information
- See ORCID API resources
Are you a Director of Library or Information Services, or perhaps a PVC for Research and Innovation, with responsibility for investment to improve research support services?